Holiday Safety

The winter months bring joyous holiday celebrations. We want your holidays to be fun filled and safe. The following are tips to keep the holidays happy and healthy for everyone!!

The holidays are a wonderful time full of family togetherness and fantastic food. Please remember our foods are often very unhealthy for our pets. Fatty foods can lead to severe stomach problems including pancreatitis (which can be life threatening if not treated), vomiting, and diarrhea. Some foods (grapes, raisins, onions, garlic, and chocolate) are toxic to our furry family members. The best plan is no table food for Fido and Fluffy.

Decorations and Pet Safety

  • Christmas Trees are beautiful especially when decorated, but animals often like to play with the ornaments and tree. Please place any small or breakable ornaments high and out of reach. Also please avoid tinsel since animals can eat it and cause an intestinal obstruction requiring emergency surgical removal!
  • If hanging ornaments, please avoid the metal ornament hooks. Animals can seriously injure themselves on these sharp objects. Consider using twine, yarn, or fabric instead.
  • If you have a real tree, please do not put any chemical in the tree water. This can be toxic to pets that drink the water.
  • Please be sure to secure any loose electrical cords and keep them out of reach of pets. Pets have been known to bite into these cords and electrocute themselves!
  • When wrapping gifts, please avoid using loose ribbon or tinsel. Pets may eat these beautiful decorations which can cause serious intestinal issues.
  • Please supervise any lit candles or simmering oils. Pets are often attracted to these and can become seriously injured in they get too close.
  • Although fireplace salts produce beautiful colors, the fumes can cause serious respiratory complications. Avoid them completely if you have pet birds!
  • Please avoid spun glass (Angel Hair) completely. This can be very irritating to eyes, skin, and intestines.

 

Common Holiday Toxins

Mild Toxicity – Poinsettia leaves/stems, angel hair, tree preservatives,Kitty Mischief

super glue, balsam/pine/cedar/fir.

Moderate Toxicity – Fireplace salts, model cement, artificial snow,

High Toxicity – Mistletoe, Holly, epoxy adhesives, antifreeze,

any type of Lily (fatal to cats)

Have a safe and happy holiday season from all of us at PVH!!!

Thanks to Dr. Jennifer for the blog!

Leave a Reply